International Journal of Health & Allied Sciences

ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year
: 2012  |  Volume : 1  |  Issue : 1  |  Page : 13--15

Prevalence of HIV among rural pregnant women attending antenatal clinics at Pravara Rural Hospital, Loni, Maharashtra, India


Purushottam A Giri1, Vidyadhar B Bangal2, Deepak B Phalke1 
1 Department of Community Medicine (PSM), Rural Medical College and Pravara Rural Hospital, Loni, Dist. Ahmednagar, Maharashtra, India
2 Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology (OBGY), Rural Medical College and Pravara Rural Hospital, Loni, Dist. Ahmednagar, Maharashtra, India

Correspondence Address:
Purushottam A Giri
Department of Community Medicine (PSM), Rural Medical College, Loni, ­Maharashtra - 413 736
India

Background: Many antenatal clinics (ANC)-based HIV surveillance systems in India have limited coverage of remote rural sites, a weakness that compromises adequate estimation, monitoring, and development of effective preventive and care programs. To address this void in rural area of western Maharashtra, we conducted antenatal clinic-based sentinel surveillance to know the prevalence of HIV infection among rural pregnant women. Materials and Methods: A cross-sectional study was carried out at ANC clinic, Dept. of Obstetrics and Gynaecology of Pravara Rural Hospital, Loni, Maharashtra. A total of 12,171 pregnant women from rural area accepted HIV testing after counseling who attending ANC clinic in Pravara Rural Hospital, Loni, during January 2008 to December 2011 were included in the study. Data were entered in Microsoft excel and percentage and proportion was calculated. Results: In the present study, out of 12171 pregnant women from the rural area accepted HIV testing after counseling who attending ANC clinic, only 50 (0.41%) were HIV positive and remaining 12, 221 (99.59%) were HIV negative. The study showed that the prevalence of HIV among pregnant women was 0.41%. Out of the 50 HIV positive pregnant women studied majority, 32 (64.0%), were primigravidas and 18 (36.0%) were multigravidas. Conclusion: In our study all 12171 pregnant women from the rural area accepted HIV testing after counseling and prevalence of HIV was found to be 0.41%. The need of the hour is to provide universal access to these services by involving the NGO«SQ»s and the private sector.


How to cite this article:
Giri PA, Bangal VB, Phalke DB. Prevalence of HIV among rural pregnant women attending antenatal clinics at Pravara Rural Hospital, Loni, Maharashtra, India.Int J Health Allied Sci 2012;1:13-15


How to cite this URL:
Giri PA, Bangal VB, Phalke DB. Prevalence of HIV among rural pregnant women attending antenatal clinics at Pravara Rural Hospital, Loni, Maharashtra, India. Int J Health Allied Sci [serial online] 2012 [cited 2020 Mar 30 ];1:13-15
Available from: http://www.ijhas.in/article.asp?issn=2278-344X;year=2012;volume=1;issue=1;spage=13;epage=15;aulast=Giri;type=0